Sunday, August 7, 2011

Team Malley

March 2011, the last couple weeks were a bit rough to digest. Meghan, a dear friend of mine, sent me a quick email saying she had some tests ran on a lump she found in her breast (this is not the first lump she has found), prayers were sent that the tests came back negative. During that time we celebrated Meghan's 29th birthday. 2 days after her 29th birthday, Meghan got the phone call that no woman wants from a physician, her biopsy came back positive. More tests were done, positive in the lymph nodes and...positive in the spine...Stage 4 cancer, a healthy 29 year old, my friend, was dealt some of the worse news ever. She sprung into action, getting on top of treatment and very anxious to get it started, she began a blog to keep everyone up to date on how she is going to whoop cancer's booty and we all got busy praying and helping in any way that we could.

I am a 'do-er', when something happens, I just can't sit back and relax, or in this case, sit back and cry. I had to do something!! So, while searching Susan G. Komen's website, I found that Michigan was hosting their 2nd Ride for the Cure in August. I would have to raise $500 to ride the 30 miles through Ann Arbor on my trusty Schwinn. So, I signed up and got busy!


I sent out emails and got many donations off the bat, then things got real serious. I started making breast cancer bracelets, initially I made them for our group of girlfriends, then I decided to start selling them. Well, need I say that the power of Facebook is incredible! I posted photos of them on Facebook and my little bracelet fundraiser became huge!



Family, Friends, Family of Friends, many people I didn't even know were ordering bracelets! Needless to say, I was a bit overwhelmed and I didn't exactly enjoy making the bracelets (I would be so frustrated, I would sweat!), however, I think overall I gave/sold around 100 bracelets!

Ride for the Cure was yesterday, August 6, 2011. It was a fantastic event, full of amazing people, kind hearts and many hills of Ann Arbor. The 30 Miles weren't too bad, miles 19 and 20 were entirely up hill, but other than that I felt great! I also had some pretty great cheerleaders along the route that definitely helped :) I *heart* you Team Malley! Overall, with the support and generosity of MANY MANY people, I was able to raise $2055 towards breast cancer awareness, prevention and research!

Meghan, I am so proud of you, your strength is such an inspiration to all that know you. I am happy to call you my friend and 'shutter sister'. I love you! xoxo


GO TEAM MALLEY!!!


Here I am, ready to ride!

My reason to ride...love you Meg!


Just part of my Cheering Crew :)


Mom and Sis


My Cheering Crew @ the 1st stop (thanks guys!)

30 Miles done! And the sweetest, sweatiest hug ever! :)


What an event, if only there was more I could do, believe me, I definitely would. However, I urge all of you to do your part, we have all been touched by cancer (not necessarily breast cancer) in some way; we can help make the difference.

Next weekend is The 3 Day, Team Malley Rally will be there in full force and I will be there cheering them on, so proud of you ladies! xoxo


Live your life full of photos...and love.


1 comment:

  1. I am truly blessed to have you in my life and to be able to call you one of my very best friends. Thank you so much for all you have done to support me, not only during the last few months, but throughout all the years of our friendship. You are an incredible person and amazing friend. I am so proud of you & honored that you did this. Love you tons! xoxo

    ReplyDelete