Monday, September 5, 2011

A rehearsal of sorts...

A couple weeks ago, a coworker of mine asked me if I could take some photos for her. Her son was getting married and they were having a large rehearsal dinner with a lot of people in attendance because most of their guests were in from out of town. I had no plans that night and figured I could take an hour or two out of my Saturday night to get some memorable images for them to have.

I decided (along with some words of encouragement from a very dear friend) to shoot entirely in manual mode (I usually shoot entirely in aperture priority) because I wasn't happy with the sharpness/clarity of some of my images. Also, due to the lighting situation, I had to use my off camera flash, which is entirely scary to me! This $700 piece of equipment scares the hell out of me, I always feel I don't use it correctly and my photos turn out bad. However, this night the stars aligned and me and my equipment decided to get along. Alot of the images turned out grainy (I think because my ISO had to be pretty high, again because of the lighting conditions) but I definitely got some good images for my coworker and her family to enjoy.

I think I need to start taking my photography outside my comfort zone and learn some new things, expand on what I already know. With that, I am beginning to read "The Hot Shoe Diaries" (a book club with my Shutter Sister, Meghan) to help ease my fears of my off camera flash. Stay tuned...


Live your life full of photos...and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment